I think you’ve hit on why Sarah Palin drives lefty women bananas: she’s everything they claim to want to be and she didn’t play the victim card to get it.
- She’s a self-made woman. Unlike Hillary Clinton and so many other female politicians, she didn’t rise to power on her husband’s back. And she didn’t have or require a husband’s wealth (or affirmative action) to do it.
- She has it all: family and a hugely successful career.
- She was free to choose, and she chose… life. When she learned her son, Trig, had Down’s Syndrome, she kept the baby.
- She’s beautiful. This shouldn’t factor into things but the fact that she’s clever and conservative and beautiful makes liberal women nuts. Liberals say women can be smart and beautiful, but deep in their hearts it’s an either/or proposition.
- Everything Sarah Palin is negates the liberal belief that conservatism is oppressive towards women. She’s a major political figure. She shoots. She hunts. She has a massive family. She’s happy. She’s made her own success story. It’s like telling a fundamentalist [insert religion of choice here] that their religion is wrong.
And on a final note, if Weiner and Hart “married up” as Maureen Dowd claims, what does that say for their wives who, following Maureen’s logic, must have “married down?” Is this what liberal feminists truly aspire to? Lower standards?